What I Wish I Knew About Dating Before I Started

Anyone who has ever loved or been loved, may have wished to do some things differently in their lives when it comes to dating.  One day I thought of some things I had wished I knew about dating before I started meeting people.


1.  Some memories never go away.


It would have been wiser to think longer about things before I did them.  Now when certain things are said or done, my mind goes back to memories that should have never been created in the first place.


2.  Being selective about who you date really does make a difference in how you view relationships in the future.


Going out with just anyone doesn't help with building a healthy view on how to create a quality relationship.  Taking the time to think about why you like or settle with certain individuals will help you discover more about what you do and don't like about yourself and others.  The more troubled people you date, the more you start thinking negatively about relationships in general.


3.  Appreciate loneliness and use it to do the things you always wanted to do rather than find someone to do them with.


It is so popular to see couples in movies and elsewhere, but being alone is also a very good thing.  You are able to get some things accomplished without the worry of checking in with someone else or them possibly hindering you from your achieving your goals.


4.  It doesn't pay to rush into anything.


Whether I had sex right at the moment or later, it didn't really make a difference.  A loser was still the same before, during and after.  It would have been best for my mind, body and spirit had I waited.


5.  It's expensive.


When I think about the years I spent money dating others, those dollars could have been invested.  I would have had an extensive savings by now and probably would have been on my way to retirement before reaching the age of 50.  Most dates were bad investments.


So if you have been reflecting on your dating experiences lately, you may want to think strongly about doing some things differently.  Dating can leave you feeling broke, busted and disgusted sometimes.


Nicholl McGuire is the author of Laboring to Love an Abusive Mate and other books.  See blog here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Love: Location, Challenges, and the Search for True Connection by Nicholl McGuire

How to Spot a Self-Absorbed and Conceited Partner Who Will Probably Cheat on You – Warning Signs to Look Out For

She's Crazy by Nicholl McGuire

She's Crazy by Nicholl McGuire
Dating or married to an angry woman?